Tuesday, August 16, 2011

You have to begin somewhere... Pasta Manzo Fungo

Originally I started this blog a few years ago because I enjoy writing... but I didn't have much that seemed worth sharing with the world. Now, however, I'm living on my own and LOVE to cook my own recipes in the kitchen. Cookbooks are great for inspiration, but I'd much rather use them as a starter than follow someone else's directions. As a person who loves rules, cooking is my one front in which I loathe them. Hence why baking is a struggle for me. Anyway, now to the food. For the next 2 years of my life in this large city, I'm going to attempt to create as many brand new recipes as I can on a very stringent budget. If you ever would like to see a certain ingredient turned into something wonderful, please let me know by commenting on a post and I'd be happy to see what I can come up with! Also, my recipes will mostly be for one person, unless otherwise stated. So... if cooking for more than one, use some sense and add more to my amounts. Ha.

Here's the first recipe creation in my new apartment... we'll call it Pasta Manzo Fungo (google translate that).

Cookware needed:
Two frying pans
One small saucepan
A pasta pot (a colander is helpful at the end)
Two spatulas
A spoon

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Oregano
Sage
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder (fresh garlic if possible)
8 oz canned tomato sauce
3 medium sized mushrooms
1 green bell pepper
1/4 lb. ground beef
1 box garden rotini pasta (the great value stuff from walmart is about $1!)
Mozzarella cheese to top


First, start about 3 cups of water boiling in the pasta pot.
Slice mushrooms and finely chop half of the green pepper (save the rest for something else).
Brown the ground beef in the first frying pan.
Add pasta to boiling water (I used about 1/4 of the box).
Put 2 tbsp olive oil in the other frying pan on medium heat, add 2 shakes each of garlic powder, onion powder, sage, and oregano. Add mushrooms and peppers. Occasionally flip with spatula to ensure even cooking.
Bring tomato sauce to low heat in the saucepan (add garlic and oregano to taste).
Add ground beef to olive oil pan. Once mixed, add contents of pan to the tomato sauce. Mix well by stirring.
Pasta should be done, but still slightly firm. Strain.
To serve, plate pasta first, then sauce mixture, top with mozzarella!

I ate mine with a gin and tonic, as I just had wine last night... But a nice merlot or cab/merlot blend would go well with it, I believe.

Let me know what you think if you try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment