Sunday, August 28, 2011

Grilled Sweet Potatoes

So, today I went to this Festival of Nations they had going on in Tower Grove Park here in StL! I had food from Greece, Eritrea, Thailand, and Haiti. I also bought some amazing olive oil straight from Sparta, Greece, and met the farmers who picked the olives! They may or may not have talked me into some kalamata olives as well... Who can say no to the Spartans? So... I was so full from that, dinner was put off until 8. I made some grilled sweet potatoes! If you don't have a george foreman, or a big person grill, this could easily be done in the oven as well. The potato was enough for me for a meal tonight, but this would also be an easy (and cheap!) side dish.

Needed:
1 sweet potato
tsp butter or margarine
tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
2 T brown sugar

Spray the grill with cooking spray to prevent sticking and drying out
Cut the sweet potato lengthwise, making pieces that are about 1/4 inch thick
Put the pieces on the grill once it is heated up

While that is going, put the dry ingredients in a small bowl or microwave safe cup
Add the butter, and microwave for about 15 seconds or until the butter is liquified.
Stir the mixture until it is homogeneous

Turn the sweet potatoes after about 6-8 minutes, let that side cook for another 4 minutes or until tender.

Once tender, put on a plate and brush with the cinnamon mixture.

Done!

I have an idea for a thinner version of these and turning them into actual chips! I'll try it out next time and see what happens. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment